So, you decided to update the firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk router. Well, that’s a pretty good decision. After all, the firmware update allows your Nighthawk router to perform efficiently. But, do you know the correct steps to update the firmware of your router via the Nighthawk app? No? Worry not! Here, we will provide you with step-by-step guidelines to do that. So, let’s get started.
How to Update Router Firmware via Nighthawk App?
- Power Up Your Router
Commence the firmware update process by powering up your Nighthawk router. For this, find a working wall outlet near the existing modem and plug in your Netgear router to it. Once done, press the Power button and wait until the LED light does not turn green.
Quick Tip: You can also use a UPS to power up your Netgear Nighthawk router if your area suffers power outages. It will ensure an adequate power supply to your WiFi device.
- Connect Your WiFi Devices
Once the power LED on your Nighthawk wireless router stabilize, get hold of an Ethernet cable. Now, connect its one end to the router another to the modem. Make sure that the connection is finger-tight and the Ethernet cable is not worn-out. If it is damaged, use a new Ethernet cable to connect WiFi devices.
Just in case you don’t want to involve yourself in a mess of creating a wired connection, use a wireless source to connect the router to the modem.
- Open the Nighthawk App
The next step is to open the Nighthawk app. If you haven’t installed the Nighthawk app on your mobile device, don’t wait to download it via the Google Play Store (Android) or App Store (iOS). Once the router app gets installed, launch it.
As soon as you launch the Nighthawk app, you will be prompted to perform Netgear router login.
- Log in to Your Nighthawk Router
Now, refer to the user manual of your Netgear Nighthawk router and find the default login credentials. Found? Good. Thereafter, type them in the required fields on the Netgear router login screen. Remember that a typo is unaffordable during the router login process. So, be careful.
Go the extra mile and turn the Caps Lock option on the keyboard off. Once you’re done entering the default login credentials, tap the Log In button to reach the Netgear Nighthawk setup dashboard.
- Update Your Router
On the Netgear Genie dashboard, tap the Settings menu and reach the Router Settings page. Thereafter, scroll down and find the Check for Updates option. Tap it and see if a new firmware is available for your Nighthawk wireless router.
If an update is available for your Netgear router, tap the Update. The firmware of your Nighthawk wireless router will get updated. Remember that it will eat up to a couple of minutes.
Caution: After you tap the Update button, do not try to go offline or close the Nighthawk app. It might halt the firmware update process or even corrupt your device.
Although the aforementioned steps will help you update the router with ease, however, if you come across any issue amidst the process, here are the hacks to fix them.
Fixed: Can’t Update Router Firmware
- Make sure that your Netgear Nighthawk wireless router is placed nowhere near corners, concrete walls, televisions, microwave ovens, treadmills, refrigerators, washing machines, Bluetooth mice, keyboards, speakers, etc. Apart from that, your WiFi device needs to be away from mirrors, fish tanks, and metal objects.
- If the mobile device you are using to update the Nighthawk router’s firmware is packed with excess security, then consider disabling antivirus applications for the time being. This is because antivirus and firewalls can halt you from performing Netgear Nighthawk firmware update.
- Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Nighthawk app to update the wireless router.
- No matter whether you are updating firmware via the Netgear Nighthawk app for PC Window 10 or using a mobile device, the default login credentials need to be entered very carefully.
After following the aforementioned tips, you’ll surely be able to update your Netgear router firmware via the Nighthawk app.
Did you get success in updating the Netgear router’s firmware via the Nighthawk app? It looks like you’ve successfully completed the job. So, we would like to congratulate you on updating your Nighthawk router to the latest firmware version.