Are you worried about possible thyroid problems that are going unidentified? Are you searching for the best thyroid doctor in Mumbai? Well, do not worry! Take a look at this article to find information on thyroid disorders and how you can identify the hidden symptoms. First, let us understand the physiology of the thyroid gland.
What is a thyroid gland?
The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland situated on the front portion of the neck. It is somewhat shaped like a butterfly with two lobes on either side of the trachea.
It secretes two hormones, namely; T4: Thyroxine (Tetraiodothyronine) and T3: Triiodothyronine.
Symptoms of thyroid disorders
The two hormones discussed above are vital and tend to affect every tissue in the body. Unfortunately, problems associated with the thyroid gland are not very obvious in most cases.
But the other factors might subtly hint that the person is affected by a malfunctioning of the thyroid. For instance, excessive tiredness, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, etc., indicate thyroid symptoms. With these symptoms, treatments are prescribed by doctors accordingly.
However, here are some common symptoms you need to check if you have thyroid
- You tend to become too nervous
- Deterioration of concentration and knowledge retention
- It affects the menstrual cycle
- Blood pressure shoots up
- Muscle pains
- Increase in weight
- Cholesterol level increases
If the thyroid remains unattended in the long run, it causes cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis, and infertility.
Types of thyroid disorders
Generally, the thyroid gland leads to many ailments. However, some problems can arise due to excess secretion of hormones, unusual gland growth, malignant lumps, etc.
But many researchers and the best thyroid doctors in Mumbai have pronounced that stress is the prime underlying symptom of thyroid.
Overt Thyroid Disorders
If you are unsure whether you have an overt or an underlying thyroid disorder, it is better to check out the following conditions;
- Thyroid cancer, of which there are four types.
- Papillary thyroid cancer
- Follicular thyroid cancer
- Medullary cancer
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer
Unseen thyroid disorders (underactive thyroid)
According to the best thyroid doctors in Mumbai, these symptoms vary from person to person. So in many cases, you will not suspect that you are affected by the thyroid.
Here are some symptoms;
- Headaches such as severe migraine or common headaches where the blood flow to the brain slows down. Fatigue is a concurrent problem for patients with hypothyroidism.
- Disturbed memory includes reduced concentration and attention, disorders in memory, perceptual function, language, psychomotor function, and executive function.
- Mood shifts due to low thyroid hormones often lead to depression or sadness. It causes perceptible brain fog. On the contrary, overt hypothyroidism shows slowed thought and speech symptoms, decreased attentiveness, or apathy.
- It leads to improper digestion and constipation. It disrupts the body’s metabolism and increases weight.
- Heartburns arise from the esophageal motility disorder where food doesn’t correctly travel through the food pipe, leading to its contraction.
- Dry skin is another symptom of low thyroid hormone levels. As a result, people suffer from dryness, thickening, scaling, dry head (dry, flaky scalp), and dry and cracked feet.
- Sensitive to cold during winter when your hands and feet quickly become cold with difficulty warming up.
- Irregular menstruation.
- Infertility occurs with decreased production of eggs.
- Weakness and muscle aches occur with increased creatine kinase (CK). Most commonly, they affect the shoulder and hip areas.
- Thinning hair, especially for women with thyroid with slower follicle stimulation and hair cycle production.
- Throat tightness occurs due to inflammation and swelling of the thyroid gland.
If you have any of these symptoms, do a quick thyroid test checkup and consult your physician to treat it early to avoid complications.
Natural remedies for thyroid
Depending upon your condition, include the following foods in your daily diet. Consult the best thyroid doctor in Mumbai to avoid complications.
- Coconut oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin D
- Diary products
- Iodine supplements
Last and most important is to exercise daily, which is the key to keeping your body fit and healthy.
Medical treatments available for thyroid disorders
Common hyperthyroidism is treated nowadays by replacing thyroxine with another hormone called levothyroxine ( or L-thyroxine).
It is an oral treatment to balance the hormones in the thyroid gland.
There are patients with a reduction of hypothyroidism post medication.
Cancer of the thyroid gland is usually treated through radiation. But the complication is that it is challenging for doctors to diagnose as it does not have a symptom.
Go for regular checkups to get your thyroid problems eradicated from the root level. It is important to note that genetics play a huge role in thyroid problems. You can reach out to the best thyroid doctor in Mumbai for a general check-up in case of a family history of thyroid disorders.